First Workout Blog - Introduction & Cardio Day

On this blog I will be keeping track of my workouts.  I have recently been following the Jillian Michaels "Making the Cut" workouts.  I am struggling with toning up and losing that last 10 lbs of baby weight.  I guess really I can't call it "baby weight" any more, as Jolie is now 4 1/2!  I am very aware that eating a clean diet with the right proportions of macro-nutrients is 90% of the equation; however, like many women, I struggle with "getting it".  I have to be very careful on what I eat because genetics is not on my side (sorry parents).  Plus now that I am forty, I find that I put weight on very easy.  I am not obsessive about it, I just want to live a long and healthy life and to set an example for my children.  I am also clearly aware that my wine consumption is not helping me reach my goals.  HOWEVER, since starting this routine in January, I am seeing results.  I don't necessarily follow the menu plans/diet in the book, but the workouts are phenomenal.

"Making the Cut" is a good start for those wanting to lose the last 10 to 20 lbs and/or to get toned.  To begin this program; however, your level of fitness must be at least moderate to advance.  The understanding of this workout is that you are already a serious gym goer and know the techniques.  If not, you may hurt yourself and then be discouraged and perhaps throw in the towel.  "Making the cut is an intense, one-of-a-kind, 30 day program designed to maximize your potential so that you get dramatic results at an accelerated pace."  Although I am going to be posting these workouts, I think purchasing the book is a good idea, as it does explain all the techniques in detail, includes recipes and menu plans, has insightful and encouraging tidbits from Miss Michaels and is just a good book to have on hand for reference.

Today was an "Off" day.  On these days I complete 30 to 60 minutes of interval cardio routines.  I started with 30 minutes of "Random Play" on the Stepmill - level 15 working up to level 20 by the 15th minute.  For those of you not familiar with the Stepmill, I describe it as a revolving escalator that is a cross between a stepper and a treadmill.  This is an intense cardio machine.  Seriously.  You work up quite a sweat on this lovely piece of equipment.  I have to do the Stepmill first, or I won't be able to complete my treadmill run, which is my second portion of this workout.

Generally I would do this workout first thing in the morning (5:30 a.m.) on an empty stomach (for burning fat!); however, my husband is out of town.  So I had a 1/2 cup of oats at 7:30 and started this workout at 9:30 a.m. after taking the kids to school.

Indoor Cardio Routine


February 29, 2012
Workout
Program
Level (if applicable)/Speed
Duration
Cardio
Stepmill
Random Play
15 advancing to 20 at 15 minute mark
30 Minutes
Cardio
Treadmill
Intervals
4.0 mph, incline 0
10 Minutes (warm-up)



4.3 mph, incline 1.0
1 minute



6.5 mph, incline 1.0
30 seconds



Repeat the above for 20 minutes to total 30 minutes on Treadmill.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Real - Back

Stir It Up - Chicken Stir-Fry

Banana Muffins